Can Petty Theft Charges Be Dropped?

In Washington State, in the court system, we don't call it petty theft, we call it theft in the third degree. Theft in the third degree means taking property or services of somebody else less than $750. Washington State has this law where if you take something from a store, the store owner can demand some money from you. That's called the shopkeeper's statute. You look into the mail for a civil demand for a payment, for the shopkeeper's statute fees. If you get that civil demand in the mail, it's very important not to pay that demand yourself. You should give that demand to your attorney's office and let the attorney deal with the store. If you're charged with petty theft in Washington State, give our office a call right away and we'll do everything we can to try to get your petty theft charge dropped.