Can theft be expunged?

If you're charged with theft, you might be thinking about pleading guilty to the charge, and then just getting it expunged later. Well, in our state, we don't call it an expungement. It is called vacating a record. What that means is, if you get convicted of a misdemeanor crime, like theft, and you stay out of trouble for typically about five years, you can hire and attorney and go back into court and ask the court to change your conviction to a dismissal. However, that does not make it disappear completely, because it can still be searched on the internet. But you would be able to say that you were not convicted of that charge. Most importantly, if you're charged with theft and you have yet to be convicted, contact an attorney as soon as possible. If you actually have a theft charge you're trying to defend or you're trying to get a theft charge off your record, give us a call and we will do everything we can to make that happen