Lynnwood Identify Theft Lawyer
WHAT IS IDENTITY THEFT?
Washington law states, "No person may knowingly obtain, possess, use, or transfer a means of identification or financial information of another person, living or dead, with the intent to commit, or to aid or abet, any crime."
An individual's "identity" is composed of a social security number, financial account numbers, passwords, and other confidential information. It is estimated that 9 million Americans have their identities stolen each year.
It is often very difficult for the victim to recover the money, credit, and security lost; juries therefore are often very sympathetic to the victim. If you have been arrested for identity theft, contact a theft crimes defense attorney from The Law Offices of Lance Fryrear immediately to help safeguard your rights and get fair representation regarding the allegations.
Types of Identity Theft Offenses
We represent clients who have been charged with identity theft; some of the types of identity theft I handle are:
- Skimming: where debit card and credit card numbers are stolen using a special device
- Phishing: where spam or other fake companies trick people into revealing financial and other personal information
- Address Changes: where information is derived from the diversion of another's billing statements with a change of address form
- Physical Theft: the taking of another's wallet, mail, purse, tax forms, etc. for the identifying information
- Pretexting: using false pretenses, such as a fake company, to get information from utility companies, telephone companies, financial institutions, etc.
- Dumpster Diving: theft from a trash bin or dumpster
WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES FOR IDENTITY THEFT?
There are two levels of identity theft charges and they are both serious.
- If credit, money, goods, services, or anything else of value in excess of $1500 has been obtained using someone's identity or financial information, it is a Class B Felony.
- For an amount less than $1500. it is categorized as a Class C Felony. Sentences can range up to ten years imprisonment, a fine of twenty thousand dollars or both.
It is essential in these types of cases that an experienced identity theft criminal defense lawyer be contacted immediately. Call us at The offices of Lance Fryrear as soon as you are charged.
Balancing Things Out With A Good Defense
Because identity theft has gotten so much attention in the media, states, counties and communities are raising awareness of the crime by implementing task forces, and the prosecution has a vested interest in being aggressive with these types of crimes.
As a firm with a former prosecutor, we have dealt with many identity theft cases and we use that knowledge and experience to defend clients who have been accused of identity theft crimes. We start the process with a free consultation so we can examine all the facts and initiate an investigation whenever necessary. All of our potential clients receive our report, "10 Things Every Person Charged With A Crime Must Know" during this consultation.
Get the help you need by contacting The Law Offices of Lance Fryrear if you have been charged with an identity theft crime.
“Thank you for your help during my legal crisis. Your particular brand of counsel was a comfort and a blessing to me. Keep being real.”- A.M.
“Just want to say thanks! You have been so kind and obliging to answer my questions, some probably stupid but nonetheless you were there for me (above and beyond the so-called "call of duty"). I do want you to know how much I appreciate it all. Yo”- J.B.
“When I hired Lance to represent me I knew I hired the best. He is not only an outstanding lawyer but an outstanding person as well.”- J.D.