If you have been contacted by police for a low-level felony property or drug charge in Snohomish County, Washington, you may receive an offer from the Prosecuting Attorney to reduce the felony charge to a non-felony offense. This is what is commonly referred to as an "expedited offer." Essentially, the State will offer you a reduction of your felony charge to a gross misdemeanor in exchange for your plea of guilty. Common offers are:
- Amending Possession of a Controlled Substance (RCW 69.50.4013) to Soliciting Possession of a Controlled Substance (RCW 9A.28.030)
- Amending Theft in the Second Degree (RCW 9A.56.040) to Attempted Theft in the Second Degree (RCW 9A.28.020)
- Amending Burglary in the Second Degree (RCW 9A.52.030) to a combination of Criminal Trespass in the First Degree (RCW 9A.52.070) and Theft in the Third Degree (RCW 9A.56.050)
- Amending Forgery (RCW 9A.60.020) to Attempted Forgery (RCW 9A.28.020)
RCW Possession of Stolen Property
- Amending Trafficking in Stolen Property in the Second Degree (RCW 9A.82.055) to Attempted Trafficking (RCW 9A.28.020)
- Amending Possession of Stolen Property in the Second Degree (RCW 9A.56.160) to Possession of Stolen Property in the Third Degree (RCW 9A.56.170) or Attempted Possession of Stolen Property in the Second Degree (RCW 9A.28.020)
If you are extended this type of offer by the Prosecutor, you will receive a letter asking you to appear for court in Snohomish County District Court in Everett, Washington (if you are charged with a felony offense outright then you will be charged in Snohomish County Superior Court instead). Having an experienced Snohomish County Defense Attorney by your side through this process is essential. Your attorney will review the evidence in your case and help you come to an educated decision whether or not to take the Prosecutor's offer. Though I often advise clients to accept the offer, there have also been many cases where I have either found a legal defense or have been successful in modifying the offer to better suit your particular situation.
I, Snohomish County criminal defense attorney Lance R. Fryrear, have experience from both sides as a former Prosecuting Attorney and have worked in Snohomish County for nearly two decades. Put this experience to work for you and call me today for your free consultation.